And How to Treat the Flu if You Already Have It
I began this year with flu symptoms. This is pretty unusual for me since I can’t remember the last time I had the flu. We were at the Esalen Institute doing a workshop the last week of December. About half the people there were sick, and I didn’t have my usual remedies.
Normally if I know I’ve been exposed to something or if I feel something coming on, I will take my immune strengthening remedies and that’s all I need. These natural remedies do the job of keeping me well. But I wasn’t able to take anything and was also trying to combine work with vacation and not really getting enough time to relax. So it fully hit me right when I got home – I had the typical flu symptoms of fever, chills, congestion, sore throat, and body aches. Fortunately, I began treating myself for flu with natural remedies and was able to kick it out completely in a few days.
Then my 17 year-old daughter began to feel like she was getting sick, starting with a sore throat. So I gave her some immune-boosting remedies to prevent the flu and that was enough for her. She was fine by the next day.
So what are my natural remedies for flu? Here is my list of tried and true supplements and things that I did to treat the flu:
- Rest! – this is essential to recovery
- I ate mostly raw vegan foods plus homemade chicken soup from bone broth (without the noodles)
- Yin Chiao and Elderberry Syrup – I took substantial amounts of both of these 3 times a day
- Vitamin C – I took around 2000 mg every few hours
- Vitamin D – I took 50,000 IU a day for 3 days. Vitamin D levels in the body are substantially reduced during an infection, and I know my body can handle that level for 3 days ONLY. I would never take this amount for longer than 3 days.
- Cold Helper – Cold Helper is a brand that I get exclusively from my Naturopath and I’m not sure if this is sold in stores yet. It’s a combination of bicarbonates and chlorophyll to alkalinize the body. Another way to do this is to take sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). There’s even instructions right on the box of Arm and Hammer, and it’s a very inexpensive way to alkalinize the body.
- Raw Garlic – I chewed a large garlic clove (cut into pieces) 3 times a day. I admit this is really challenging, but raw garlic is very potent in eliminating viruses, bacteria, and it prevented the illness going deep into my chest and hanging on. Allicin is the medicine in garlic and it’s released via chewing or crushing and not as potent if cooked or heated. It’s the absolute best thing for sore throats, coughs, and sinus infections. It has to be eaten with food, not on an empty stomach, and it really helps to chew it mixed with another food to mask the taste. Chewing on fresh parsley right after you chew the garlic helps reduce the garlic odor. No it’s definitely not fun to chew raw garlic, but in my opinion the one minute of discomfort is a lot better than dealing with a lingering illness.
Here is what I gave my daughter to prevent the flu:
Oscillococcinum – this is a homeopathic remedy specifically to take at the very first sign of symptoms to prevent the flu from taking hold.
Raw garlic for Jenna – no way! Not going to happen. But the other supplements were all she needed.
The above is not medical advice! – I’m simply telling you what I do to keep my daughter and myself healthy 🙂 And please note that my soon-to-be-18-year-old daughter and I have adult bodies so the amounts we took are not the right doses for small children.
Here is advice from Dr. Neustaedter on Effective Treatment for the Flu